Is a set of abilities requiring individuals to "recognize when information is needed and have the ability to locate, evaluate, and use effectively the needed information". ACRL, 2000.
MC students should be able to:
- Determine the nature & extent of the information needed.
- Access needed information efficiently & effectively.
- Evaluate information & its sources critically while incorporating selected information into her/his knowledge base.
- Use information effectively to accomplish a specific purpose while working individually or in a group.
- Understand the economic, legal, & social issues concerning the use of information while accessing & using information both ethically & legally.