Dissertation/Thesis citations should always include the following:
Name of author(s)
Year of publication
Title of work
Identification of work
Other information you may need:
Accession, Order, Dissertation/Thesis, or UMI Number
Institution Name, Location
- Only the first word of the title and subtitle should be capitalized, except for proper nouns.
- Italicize the Dissertation/Thesis title.
- Identify the work as a doctoral dissertation or master's thesis in parentheses after the title.
- If the paper is available through a database, give the accession/order/UMI No. in parentheses at the end of the reference.
- If the work is retrieved from ProQuest Dissertations & Theses or another published source include this information in the reference.
Dissertation/Theses from a Commercial Database
Dissertations/Theses for an Institutional Database/Repository
Dissertations/Theses from a University outside the U.S.